Monday, August 5, 2013

Crab and Mac Salad

Last Saturday night, I went to dinner with my best buddy Sondra. The Fish Tail's special that night was King Crab Leg (1 1/2 pounds) dinner for $47. I only eat The Deadliest Catch about twice a year, so it is a special treat. At this price, even better! It was delicious, but I still had 3 legs I couldn't eat! What to make with the leftovers? This is what I came up with. Not a lot of color contrast, but the flavor makes up for it. The tomatoes, corn and basil came from my garden.


Crab and Mac Salad

1 cup dry whole wheat elbow macaroni, cook as directed to al dente

2 ears corn on the cob, cooked, kernels cut off
2 small tomatoes, seeded, chopped
1/4 white or red onion chopped fine (about 1/4 of a cup)

olive oil, about 1 tablespoon

1/4 cup Best Foods Olive Oil Mayo

1/2 cup shredded crab meat
Freshly ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoon fresh basil, chiffonade (cut in thin strips)

While the macaroni is cooking, I cooked the corn on the cob in the microwave. Wrap the cleaned cob in a moist paper towel. I had two cobs so I microwaved them 2 minutes, turned them over and 2 more minutes.

Cook the macaroni to al dente (still a bit firm), drain well. Place in a medium glass bowl, toss with olive oil (so it won't stick together), let cool.

Chop tomatoes and onion. When cool enough to handle, cut corn kernels off. 

When macaroni is cool, add tomato, onion, and corn, mix gently. Add mayo, combine, then fold in crab meat. Ground pepper to taste. Chill. Top with basil before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment